Friday, September 15, 2006

If you’ve known me for any length of time, you probably know that I hate Disney, and always have. I read something recently that said cynics don’t call themselves that, so I guess I can’t really blame it on cynicism, but I think it is summed up in an episode from my childhood.

The first film I ever saw in a theatre was Bambi. I must have been 3 or 4. At the part where Bambi’s father gets shot, the whole theatre was full of emotionally crying children. Very pertly, (and ever the optimist), I turned to my mother and in my very projective voice observed “Mommy, look! Daddy got a deer!”

I love that story because it proves that I’ve always kinda looked at things differently. Or at the very least, that I did as a child.

This, however, has little to do with my plea, which is what this post is. I want to write an essay about how classic animated Disney movies have never included a main character whose parents are both alive and living with the child, because I don’t think it has. I want to explore why this was done originally and I think a big part of it will focus how on films like Chicken Little and Finding Nemo concentrate on the aspect of single parenthood and how difficult it is.

I’m not saying being a single parent is wrong or immoral or anything. I just wonder why our society has such a problem treating married parents as weird or unusual. They shouldn’t be. That should be the norm. I know shit happens, but maybe if we taught our kids to aspire to a permanent marriage, later on in life they might achieve that. My mom was pissed the first time she called my sister’s public school, asked for her by her first and last name and then they asked my mom what her last name was, as though they had no idea whatsoever.

Anyway, I still hate Disney, and I don’t want to have to watch Disney movies to write this, so any and all investigation (or articles or links) that you might have on the subject would be terribly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home