Thursday, August 10, 2006

Ahh . . . so after three days in Philly (give or take . . . two nights at any rate), I was up bright and early at 4:30 AM to come to Boston for another day of testing. More on that later, and I'll have pictures from today too--my return flight I'd run out of batteries and cash, which made me sad. Lulu got lost to the sands of "short term memory loss" for a few moments, but as it turns out they have your license plate on record somewhere somehow and can tell you within moments of the helper guy driving up to lost looking individuals (like me) who can't seem to find their damn cars.

In the meantime, however, I have some marketing crap to share. First is this show that I just found out about called Weeds. Apparently it's Desperate Housewives but with these ladies growing marijuana. The cool part is an article on AdRants talking about how they're advertising for this show (which apparently is in its second or third season, how did I miss this?) is advertising in Rolling Stone with "perfume strips." Well, kinda. They smell like weed. I might have to buy that issue because that's just really funny.

Whatever the case, though, this links back to something I've noticed for years. Namely, weed-scented perfume and--even more ridiculously--incense. Why would you want to smell like weed? Besides the fact that it's a gross smell, it's also an illegal smell. What are you going to do, tell the cop "no, officer, there's nothing illegal at this party. It's just our marijuana-scented incense, see?" Like, are 15 year olds going to try to fool their parents with this? I don't understand the purpose of it. But at any rate, this is really brilliant marketing, which happens every day and goes largely unnoticed. So kudos to Showtime.

In other news, Lore Sjoberg has posted a new column on wired.com: "Fine Fast Food is Just Gourmeh". I haven't made it through the article yet, but Lore is brilliant and witty and the title alone warranted mention. As he writes of himself: "Born helpless, nude and unable to provide for himself, Lore Sjöberg eventually overcame these handicaps to become a globe-trotter, a day-tripper and a chicken tractor." See Lore's blog at The Slumbering Lungfish. Long-time internet officionados may recall him as the mastermind behind Brunching Shuttlecocks, which although awesome, is no longer updated. StephL is sad.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Matt said...

It has been advertised in a lot of magazines and stuff. Anyway its on Showtime, so thats probably why you haven't seen it.

2:51 PM  
Blogger StephL said...

Yeah, I think the internet is the new cable.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home